Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sunny So-Cal

I say that sarcastically. I hate it when people shorten the name of where they live. Like when I lived in South Broadripple, I never EVER called it So-Bro. LAME. 

But yes, I'm in southern California. San Diego to be precise. And staying at a lovely downtown Westin with beautiful white sheets and comforters, soft carpeting, and a fuzzy terrycloth robe for me to wear whilst putzing 'round my room. If I could wear it to the conference, I totally would. 

It's nigh 7:12 AM here, and I am crazy wide away. I fell into the sleep of the dead last night at about 9:30 (only because they kept us at a dinner/speech till 9:15) and woke up at 3:45 this morning, proving that my internal clock has officially set itself, as I wake at 6:45 in the morning in Indy. That said, I am going to be dragging ass tonight at about 8:00. 

I am also feeling somewhat guilty this morning. My lovely colleague Ken has organized a brisk city walk for conference attendees, and I mentioned to him that, indeed, I do enjoy walking and would definitely participate in his walks. He failed to tell me, though, that his walks start at 6:00 in the morning. Now, technically that's 9:00 in the morning for me. But that's not the point. The point is that my clock says 6:00 in the morning, meaning I'd have to wake up at 5:45 at the latest. Psychologically, I just can't handle that. So, this afternoon, post-conference schedule when the baseball enthusiasts are at the Padres game, I will do my own city walk, and perhaps run, too.

I miss Eric and the babies desperately, and every time I see a dog on television, my heart kind of aches for Pix and Yogi. Talked with Eric last night and he said that Pixie was being "an emotional adolescent." She gets weird sometimes when she gets spooked. And she gets spooked by funny things. Here's a good story--as you know, we installed the back steps. Up until the day we built the steps, the dogs were using a set of cinderblock stairs that ran perpendicular to the house. Now, the steps go up the side of the house. They cannot figure it out, and it's hilarious. Yogi is big enough to handle the 3 foot jump up from the ground. Sometimes he takes a flying leap from the old cement stairs to the new platform, which is like 5 feet--it's pretty incredible to watch. Pixie is not big enough. So she'll jump around and try to get up, and not even look to her right and see the stairs. We've tried to teach them, but they're just not internalizing. 

Okay, it's time for breakfast, schmoozing, and embracing my inner higher education wonkishness. 

No comments: