Monday, July 21, 2008

No more sombreros...

The bisque and La Fonda Sombrero are OUT, and Buttery Apricot is IN. I had a revelation this morning when I thought about how I would feel, psychologically, walking into an orange kitchen. It seemed, at least in my imagination, that I would feel a little bit like I was in a circus. So, we went with a somewhat vibrant, deep yellow. It was a little manic going on the walls, but it's mellowing out during dry-time. The bathroom is very, very green. Less sage-y than I was going for...

This is all very new to me--I'm a member of the school of "eggshell is wild" painting. We branched out a bit in Boston, when we did an accent wall. This was brick, and about halfway through we vowed to never ever try to paint brick again. Anyway, I'm sure it's going to be great. All I want is to put my dishes away. We had cereal tonight for dinner, and the only bowls we had out were our little ones. Listen--we painted for more than 6 hours today. We needed BIG bowls of cereal. So I went on a little treasure hunt and dug up some of our nesting bowls. SWEET. That was a lot of Golden Grahams, but I'm feeling satisfied. 

We had a busy day today, besides the painting. This morning, we ventured down to the City/County Building and filed our mortgage and homestead exemptions, as well as an appeal for our assessed property value to be the amount we paid for the house, instead of dramatically higher. We visited the Historic Preservation Association, where we found out some more information about the house (namely, that the soffits and gutters needed fixing in 1992... Hummm... Guess whoever did that work didn't do a very good job!). Then we went to Lowes for the 5th time this week and picked up the paint, and then up to Bed, Bath and Beyond to get some window coverings. We finally moved into the master bedroom, so I taped up a sheet and a curtain. Of course, it fell down last night, so I awoke this morning to sunlight and a clear view of the street. And a clear view from the street into the house. No wonder our neighbors are being so friendly!

Our camera is out of batteries, and I have no idea where to find the ones we packed, nor the energy or inclination to go over to the drugstore. Thus, pictures tomorrow....

No comments: