Sunday, March 29, 2009

Lazy Sunday, v2

Big plans today... 

We're going up to the northside in a bit to get some breakfast (I have a free breakfast card at LePeep!) and to get Eric some new tennis shoes. Yesterday, I went shopping for clothes for the first time since moving here in July, and when I left, I asked Eric if he needed anything, thinking he'd say something like, "A pack of t-shirts" or something like that. No, he says, "I need some new tennis shoes. Any color except white." What?? I think shoes are an extremely personal choice. 

The clothes shopping yesterday... Necessary, but I didn't have a good time. I used to love going shopping, even if I wasn't going to get anything. Yesterday, I HAD to get something (seriously, the wardrobe situation is a little dire right now), and I dragged myself to the mall like I was going to the dentist. Once there, though, I got some cute stuff, including a VERY cute black kick-pleated skirt. It will be nice to be excited about getting dressed again. Also, the mall was packed. Screaming children everywhere. This is normally something I dread, but perhaps this means our national freak-out is winding down? God, I hope so. 

I finished painting in the bathroom yesterday, covering up all the flaws and scribble marks on the paint. And then I set to attacking the gigantic mound of laundry. And then I pressed "start" on the washer. Nothing...

Eric and Matt did some rewiring the other day to install a vanity light, and in doing so, appear to have removed a power source to the washer and the back bedroom. Nice.  I've respectfully requested that they abstain from further electrical work. I appreciate the initiative, but prefer that they not burn the house down or prevent me from doing laundry I needed to do 2 weeks ago. SIGH. We called an electrician.

It's all about knowing your limitations, right? I KNOW that I am woefully unskilled at a wide variety of things--electrical, plumbing and anything involving a powertool are just a few of these. Therefore, I don't even attempt, and I'm positive that the house is better for it. I'm just saying...

Anyway, today I think we'll continue a little spring cleaning, even though it's supposed to FREAKING SNOW! today. It's rather unbelievable to me how dusty and dirty things get if we don't stay on top of it around here. Yesterday, I swiffered for the first time in probably 3 days. I picked up a dog's worth of fur. Seriously, how are the puppies not bald?? I took a half bag of fur off of Yogi's TAIL yesterday. Because he's half Rotti/half dog-with-a-tail, he has a sort of long stump for a tail. It looks huge, but in reality is quite a small tail. It's just covered in 17 layers of matted fur. Disgusting. 

In other news, we start this week on the master-bath shower build out. Like the guest bath shower, this one is down to the studs and sub-floor. Our guy comes back this week and we'll get moving. Wahoo. Once we finish the master bath, we'll be able to refinance. We have a pretty low interest rate as it is, but I'm hoping that a marginally lower rate, plus a new appraisal to put us a 20%+ equity, will mean that we have no more PMI and lower payment. That would be awesome. 

Anyway, as of right now, we're planning on the following for the master bath:
  • dark brown cork floors - apparently, cork is really good in a bathroom, particularly if you seal it with several coats of poly. Cork doesn't conduct heat/cold, so it adapts to the temperature of your feet. This means that Eric's well-laid, if delusional, plans for an electric bathmat/radiant heat floor are unnecessary. 
  • ivory shower tiles with glass-mosaic accents - I'm a big fan of subway tiles. They always look sharp. Eric, though, wants something different from the guest bath, and I understand that. We'll use square ivory/off-white tiles for the shower, and probably do an accent around the shower control/head with the glass tile. 
  • Tell me what you think... We were at the tile shop the other day and saw some rock tile. You know--the flat stones that are mounted on the mesh. What I'm wondering is whether we could make that ourselves? Find flat stones, maybe run them through a polisher or something, and then lay them individually? Seems to me that the only benefit the pre-fab tile has over this is the mesh backing that might make it easier to lay. But if it just means finding the stones, sticking them into the thinset, and then grouting, is this possible? 
  • We'll tear out the ugly vanity we've got going on right now, and replace it either with 2 individual vanities (something like this, or this) or a better-looking 2 sink vanity. Or Eric will build something. 
Anyway, we'll see. This bathroom is roughly 3.5 times the size of the guest bathroom, and that project started back in January, and still isn't finished. So, it's looking like we might finish this by, say, Christmas.

No comments: