Thursday, January 11, 2007

Our Official Officiant

It was a dilemma. Eric and I don't belong to a church here, and it didn't seem genuine (to us or the church) to seek one out at this point for the sake of getting married there. But on the other hand, we didn't want some crusty old justice of the peace to do the deed either.

Enter KATIE McCARTHY-EVENBECK. One of the coolest women I know, and my best friend. She has graciously agreed to officiate our wedding, and I am SO psyched.

Katie and I met our freshman year of college at Franklin, when she came over to my dorm room to tutor my roommate in economics. I just remember laying there on my bunk, tuned out. After all, I was a Lit major (turns out, I should have listened... who'd've guessed I'd turn out to be an economist? Not me!). Anyway, while I didn't truly appreciate Katie's considerable skills in econ, I did think that she was really funny and very different than the average Franklin College freshman.

I guess I knew that Katie was my true "best friend," or "female soul mate," or what have you, during our sophomore year. You know, I STILL don't ever know what to say or do when a friend loses someone they love, but Katie gave me a really good example. When my grandma died, I was just devastated. I couldn't go home for a few days, and people just kept bugging me for stuff, not knowing that I was sort of going through something, and then giving me these weird looks, like why was I crying, why couldn't I give them the vacuum cleaner now, etc. (I was an RA. That position was the bane of my existence...). Anyway, Katie stopped by, and she didn't say anything at all. She just took me down to her room and put some movies in and gave me some pop, and let me just handle things. That was so important.

And that's been almost 10 years ago. She's as important to me now as she was back then, and I am just so honored and happy that she's going to be right up there with us. Wow--we're such lucky people!

No comments: