Friday, December 14, 2007

Mid-December Update

So, I can't remember ever being more excited for a trip home to Michigan. This is due to several factors:
  • I get to spend more than a weekend. We're actually going to be home for like 5 days! It's not like before I didn't want to spend more than a weekend at home, it was just that I worked for an agency that operated in full-on panic mode from approximately November 15 through the end of January.
  • We have snow here. Snow in Boston actually makes me like this place more, mainly because it covers up the dirtiness, and things seem peaceful, at least for a little while. We got dumped on last night, about a foot, and it was a glorious walk in. One of the funnier things I saw was that someone had made a very small snowman in the middle of the sidewalk, and pretty much every dog that had walked by must've decided it was a good place to pee. Poor yellow snowman. I also saw a lab with snow all over her snout, which I love... But anyway, if there is snow HERE and I'm loving it, I will love the snow at home even more, because I know it's not covering up filth, and because the peacefulness there isn't just a feeling that I would get, but actual peace.
  • I really truly love Christmas. I reached the point years ago where I stopped caring if I got anything at all for Christmas, and after that, it started being a lot more fun. I just love being home and chilling out with the fam. It's the best.


Here's my favorite quote. It's something good to think about as we enter into this election year:
"A great nation is not saved by wars. It is saved by acts without external picturesqueness; by speaking, writing, voting reasonably; by smoting corruption swiftly; by good temper between parties; by people knowing true men when they see them, and preferring them as leaders to rabid partisans or empty quacks." ~William James

No comments: